Friday 18 March 2011

The Beat On The Streets



One of my favourite tracks is the cover of ‘Can’t Get Used To Losing You' by legendary Ska band The Beat. Perfect pop music! Soul, pop and reggage all fused together with heartfelt lyrics reflecting their musical youth growing up in Brum.

When I was growing up The Beat were frequently at the top of the charts with their three albums: I Just Can't Stop It (1980), Wha'ppen? (1981) and Special Beat Service (1982) and a string of top 10 hits including "Mirror in the Bathroom", "Too Nice To Talk To", "Can't Get Used To Losing You", "Hands off She's Mine". All timeless classics!

Although their heyday was 30 years ago we still have the same social problems today. I was a very naive youngster back then and I always thought “Mirror in Bathroom” was about looking at yourself in the mirror. Doh! It was only as I got older that I found out that the song is about being addicted to coke (the real thing but only for those who like to snort it up their nose!).

The reason why I love The Beat is because their vocalist Ranking Roger is a local legend and if you’re lucky you can see him walking along Bearwood High Street or maybe you’ll bump into him in Subway (other sandwich vendors are available) like I did a few years ago.

Bearwood has a very strong musical heritage and we should be very proud of it. At welovebearwood we're getting very excited because there’s a group forming as I write this (well not literally but you know what I mean) who want to see live music back in Bearwood. We want the glory days back when bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones played at the Thimblemill Baths. Okay, so maybe we’re aiming a little high if we expect Mick and co to pay a return visit but who knows eh?

There’s going to be a meeting at 8pm at the Bear on 30th March for all those who want to be involved so come long and, as Roger might put it, find out Wha’ppen!

Here's the map for the Bear http://www.bing.com/maps/?lvl=15&where1=B664BX,%20UK&FORM=MMREDIR

No comments:

Post a Comment